Maple Pastry Pinwheels
Desserts / Fancy Pastries / Recipes with Maple Sugar / Recipes with Maple Syrup
Created by Stéphanie Côté Nutritionist
Featuring Maple Sugar
- 2 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup cold butter
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp water, very cold
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 3/4 cup maple sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachios, almonds, pecans, or other nuts (optional)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (preferably dark syrup for its robust flavour)
- 1/4 cup 35% cream
- In a food processor, combine the flour and salt. Add the butter and process a few seconds at a time, until you get balls the size of peas. Turn on processor and add water gradually until the dough begins to form. Add a little more water if needed. Remove dough from processor. Shape into two discs and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Place oven rack on bottom setting. Preheat oven to 180° C (350° F).
- On a floured work surface or between sheets of parchment paper, roll each disc into a square of about 25 – 30 cm (10 – 12 in).
- Using a pastry brush, spread the melted butter over the surfaces of the pastry squares, then do the same with the maple sugar. Sprinkle with the nut mixture, if using.
- Roll the two pastry squares up into cylinders. Slice cylinders into 12 – 14 rounds of equal thickness. You should get 24 – 28 rounds.
- Butter a rectangular baking dish, about 22 cm by 33 cm (9 x 13 in). Lay rounds in, flat, side by side.
- In a bowl or measuring cup, combine the maple syrup and cream. Pour mixture over the pastry rounds. Bake 55 minutes – 1 hour or until done and lightly golden.
- Let the pastries cool before removing from baking dish, but not completely cold or they may stick to the pan, making them difficult to remove without breaking.
REFRIGERATION TIME: 30 minutes
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!