- 2 acorn squash, halved & seeded
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled & chopped
- 1 small Granny Smith apple, peeled & chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth, plus 250 ml (1 cup) for thinning
- 1 ground thyme
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Diced apple & fresh chives for garnish
- Preheat oven to 200 °C (400 °F).
- Brush cut-side of squash with maple syrup, and place cut-side down on a baking sheet lightly coated with 15 ml (1 tablespoon) of the olive oil.
- Bake 45 minutes, or until tender. Allow to cool, then scrape out the squash flesh and set aside.
- In a 4-L (16-cup) sauce pan, heat remaining 30 ml (2 tablespoons) of olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, carrot and apple. Cook for 5 minutes, then reduce heat to low and cover.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Add the cooked squash, broth, thyme, and nutmeg. Simmer for 20 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Once mixture has cooled, blend (in two batches) in food processor or blender until smooth. Reheat soup and season to taste with salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Stir in fresh lemon juice and add more broth if soup is too thick.
- Garnish with apple and chives.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Add some Maple Taffy to your recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!