Recipes with Maple Syrup / Soups / Thick Soups
Created by Stéphanie Côté Nutritionist
Featuring Maple Syrup
- 10 Italian tomatoes
- 1 cup stale bread, crusts removed, cubed
- 1/4 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 red, yellow, or orange pepper, cubed*
- 1/2 English cucumber, peeled, seeded, cubed
- 1 French shallot, coarsely chopped
- 3 c. à soupe olive oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (preferably golden syrup for its delicate flavour)
- 1 tbsp wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (preferably golden syrup for its delicate flavour)
- 2 tbsp sweet pepper, minced*
- 2 tbsp feta cheese, crumbled
- Herbs (optional)
- Peel the tomatoes. To do this, make a shallow X-shaped incision in the bottom of each tomato. Immerse tomatoes in a large pot of boiling water for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until the skins start to come away. Use a slotted spoon to remove tomatoes and let them cool before peeling, cutting, and deseeding.
- Pour the broth into a bowl and soak the bread cubes in it for 5 minutes.
- Put soaked bread into a blender with all remaining gazpacho ingredients. Purée until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate 2 hours or until cold.
- Pour the oil and syrup for the garnish into a small, lidded container. Close and shake vigorously.
- Portion gazpacho into your bowls. Garnish with the diced pepper and crumbled feta. Drizzle with some of the oil-syrup mixture. Sprinkle with herbs (parsley, basil, etc.), if desired.
REFRIGERATION TIME: 2 hours
* Use most of the pepper for the soup, saving some minced bits for the garnish.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!