- 3 tablespoons maple syrup (preferably golden syrup for its delicate flavour)
- 1/4 cup light coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (Chinese or Vietnamese)
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce (or sambal oelek)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 18 shrimp, peeled and deveined (21/25 count per pound)
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1/4 cup fresh mixed herbs (cilantro, Thai basil, and green onion)
- Salt (optional)
- In a bowl, blend the maple syrup, coconut milk, fish sauce, and chili sauce. Reserve.
- In a saucepan, heat but do not brown the garlic in the butter and oil.
- Add the shrimp for 30 seconds, just to sear them, and then the reserved sauce.
- Cook for 3 minutes.
- Arrange the sprouts in shallow bowls and add the shrimp with sauce. Scatter with the herb mixture and serve.
- May be accompanied by rice or rice vermicelli.
Instead of shrimp, can be made with scallops or firm-fleshed fish. Chili sauce can be replaced with cayenne or Tabasco sauce.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!