- 1 cup maple syrup (preferably dark syrup for its robust flavour)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Maple sugar or maple candy for decoration
- Cake gel, icing, candy of your choice to decorate with
- Butter a 2-L (8 cup) glass bowl. Pour into it maple syrup and butter and melt in the microwave oven on high for 6.
- Remove from oven, add baking soda and salt, mix and cool.
- Pour mixture into a mixing bowl, add egg and flour, a little at a time, and mix until you obtain a ball of dough. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- On a floured surface, knead dough to a 30-cm (12-in) diameter circle with a 0.6-cm (1/4-in) thickness. In the centre, cut a 20-cm (8-in) circle.
- From the removed dough, cut out various-size stars using a cookie cutter.
- Place the wreath and stars on a baking sheet and bake in top of oven for 15 minutes. Cool before decorating. Stick stars to wreath using icing.
- On a floured surface, knead dough to a 30-cm (12-in) diameter circle with a 0.6-cm (1/4-in) thickness. Using a variety of cookie cutters, make cookies.
- Place on a cookie sheet, prick two holes in each cookie and bake in top of oven for about 12. Cool before decorating. Thread a ribbon through the holes to make a cookie garland.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!