- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground meat (mixture of veal, beef and pork)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich flavour)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups frozen vegetables (spaghetti mix)
- 2 1/2 cups store-bought tomato sauce or canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1 lb spaghetti, broken in half
- Parmesan or pecorino cheese, grated, to taste
- In a very large pot with a lid, over high heat, add the olive oil and heat for a few seconds. Add the ground meat and maple syrup, and brown for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the vegetables, tomato sauce, basil, and water. Mix well. Add the dry spaghetti and stir. Cover.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until the pasta is al dente, gently stirring frequently to separate the noodles. If the mixture’s too thick, add up to 125 ml (1/2 cup) more water.
- Garnish with grated cheese to taste and serve.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Add something special to your summer menu this year.
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!