- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup dried dates, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup dried apricots, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups mixed candied fruits (cherries, zest of orange and lemon, etc.), chopped
- 1 cup cranberries, fresh or frozen*
- 1/3 cup rum or orange juice
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup maple sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 cup maple butter
- Combine the fruits in a large plastic dish. Sprinkle with the rum or orange juice, cover tightly, and leave to macerate overnight at room temperature.
- Position the rack in the centre of the oven. Preheat to 150° C (300° F).
- Generously butter and flour the insides of three 20 cm x 10 cm (8 x 4 in) loaf pans.
- Use a mixer to cream the butter with the maple sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda, and spices.
- Gradually add this to the first mixture.
- Stir into the fruit mixture with the mixer at low speed or with a wooden spoon.
- Pour even amounts of cake batter into the three pans. Bake 1 1/2 hour or until metal skewer or knife inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Allow cakes to cool completely before removing from pans. Wrap in foil or place in airtight plastic containers. Keep in fridge.
- Before serving, heat maple butter in microwave in 10 – 15 second intervals until it is just liquid enough to pour over the cakes. Spread 80 g (1/4 cup) maple butter onto each cake.
MACERATION TIME: 1 night
* KEEPS FOR:
If made with fresh or frozen cranberries: 2 weeks in fridge or several months in the freezer.
If made with dried cranberries: 3 or 4 weeks at room temperature or 2 – 3 months in the fridge.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!