- 1 sweet potato, cut into cubes of about 1 cm (3/8 in)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 540 ml can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt or light sour cream
- 4 large tortillas
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 lime, quartered
- Spicy oil or Tabasco (optional)
- Preheat oven to 230° C (450° F). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the cubed sweet potato into a large bowl and pour 15 ml (1 tbsp) of oil and the maple syrup over top. Mix well. Scatter this over the baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Place in oven and bake 10 minutes. Stir with a spatula and return to oven, this time under the broiler, for 2 minutes (watching carefully!) or until potatoes are well browned.
- Meanwhile, place a large skillet onto medium-high heat and brown the onion with the cumin and chili powder in 15 ml (1 tbsp) of oil. Add the oregano, black beans, water, and tomatoes. Continue cooking for 2 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
- Spread 15 g (1 tbsp) plain yogourt (or sour cream) down the middle of a tortilla. Add a quarter of the black bean mixture, then a quarter of the sweet potatoes. Garnish with slices of avocado and some coriander. Squeeze a quarter of lime over top and add spicy oil or sauce, if desired.
- Fold ends of tortilla over the filling and roll to close the burrito.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!