- 3 green apples, Cortland, Empire, or Lobo
- 3/4 cup maple syrup (preferably dark syrup for its robust flavour)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup maple sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 190° C (375° F).
- Peel the apples.
- Thinly slice apples and place criss-crossed in a 20 cm (8 in) round or square baking pan. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, boil the maple syrup with 60 ml (1/4 cup) butter for 5 minutes. Pour over the apples.
- In a bowl, whip the other 60 ml (1/4 cup) of the butter with the maple sugar. Whisk in the egg. Add the milk, flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Cover the apples with this dough.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes.
- Allow to cool 5 minutes and turn out onto a plate.
Serve with a sauce anglaise or a little vanilla ice cream.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Add some Maple Taffy to your recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!