- 2 cups apple cider
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich flavour)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, plus 2 sprigs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary, plus 2 sprigs
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 4.5-kg (10-lbs) fresh turkey, giblets and neck removed, cleaned and well-dried with paper towels inside and out
- Salt & pepper
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 head garlic, halved
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1 container (454 g or 16 oz.) frozen cherries
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Boil apple cider and maple syrup in a heavy, large saucepan over medium-high heat until reduced to 125 ml (1/2 cup), or for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and mix in chopped thyme and rosemary. Whisk in butter. Cover and refrigerate until cool, for about 2 hours.
- Adjust rack to lowest position and preheat oven to 160 °C (325 °F).
- Rub kosher salt and pepper inside the breast cavity and stuff the herb sprigs, onion, garlic, and bay leaves inside.
- Set bird on a roasting rack in a roasting pan breast side up. Loosen breast skin and brush generously with half the butter mixture under and over the skin. Season with kosher salt and pepper.
- Tent the bird with foil and roast for 2 hours. Remove the foil and baste with the remaining butter mixture.
- Increase oven temperature to 220 °C (425 °F) and continue to roast about 45 minutes longer or until an instant read thermometer registers 77° C (170 °F) in the thigh of the bird.
- Cherry compote
- Place 125 ml (1/2 cup) apple cider, cherries, mustard powder, maple syrup, cinnamon stick and cloves in a medium saucepan. Simmer until sauce starts to reduce.
- Combine 15 ml (1 tablespoon) of apple cider with cornstarch, then stir into cherry sauce. Simmer until slightly thickened. Stir in cider vinegar. Cool.
- Remove turkey from the oven, tent with foil and set aside to rest for about 15 minutes before carving.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!