- 2 cups 35% cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup grated maple sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- In a saucepan, heat the cream over low heat until steaming.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the maple syrup and stir in the flour.
- Pour the hot cream over the egg yolk mixture while stirring constantly.
- Put the mixture back in the saucepan and heat over low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon until thickened enough to coat the back of the spoon.
- Fill medium sized ramekins or cups with the preparation to 3/4 full.
- Place in a baking dish filled with water, halfway up the ramekins. Bake in the center of the oven for 30 minutes or until creams are firm.
- Remove the ramekins from water and allow to cool to room temperature before refrigerating.
- When the creams are cool, sprinkle each with 15 mL (1 tablespoon) maple sugar. Caramelize the sugar with the torch or few minutes in the oven on broil.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve, preferably the same day, to prevent the caramelized sugar from returning to liquid form.
It is important to cool the crème brulée before caramelizing sugar in the oven. If, however, the torch is used, caramelization of the sugar can be done as soon as the creams are out of the oven.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Add something special to your summer menu this year.
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!