- 8 cups bread, cut into pieces
- 2 bananas, cut into pieces
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 oz dark rum
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup maple syrup (preferably dark syrup for its robust flavour)
- 1 vanilla pod
- 4 cups milk, warmed
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 2 tbsp maple sugar
- Preheat oven to 180° C (350° F).
- Put the bread into a buttered 25 cm by 25 cm (10 in by 10 in) baking dish.
- In a skillet, sauté the banana pieces in 15 g (1 tbsp) butter. Pour over the dark rum and flambé. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs. Add in the soft butter, maple syrup, vanilla pod, and then, gradually (to not cook the eggs), the warmed milk. Pour onto the bread.
- Distribute the flambéed bananas over the bread and sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Bake for 45 – 60 minutes, until the centre is set.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with the maple sugar.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Add something special to your summer menu this year.
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!