- 1 cup maple syrup (preferably dark syrup for its strong flavour)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3 egg whites
- 1 pinch of cream of tartar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3 pouches of plain gelatin
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup maple sugar
- Line a 22.5-cm (9-in) square pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Begin meringue preparation. Pour maple syrup and orange juice into a heavy-bottom saucepan. Boil over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 115 °C (240 °F).
- Meanwhile, beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt in a stand mixer at medium speed, until soft peaks form.
- As the whites take form, mix the gelatin and water in a bowl. Let stand 5 minutes and set aside.
- When syrup reaches 115 °C (240 °F) on the candy thermometer, reduce mixer speed and continue to beat whites while drizzling with half the syrup.
- Add remaining hot syrup to the gelatin and stir well to dissolve.
- Beat this mixture with an electric mixer until it becomes a mousse.
- Combine mousse and meringue in the mixer, increase speed and beat 5 to 7 or until the meringue is lukewarm and forms very stiff peaks.
- Pour into the prepared pan and cover with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Cut marshmallow into 12 cubes and roll in maple sugar.
Refrigeration Time: 2 hours
These marshmallows keep for one week in an airtight container at room temperature.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!