- 3 pork shanks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 carrot, sliced into rounds
- Water, as needed
- 2 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 2 1/2 lbs ground pork
- 2 onions, chopped fine
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup toasted flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich flavour)
- 1 cup cold water
- In a large pot, combine the pork shanks, salt, pepper, onion and carrot and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 3 hours.
- Remove the shanks from the broth and refrigerate them. Refrigerate the broth separately for several hours. When cool, remove the meat from the bones and skim the fat off the broth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground meats, onions and spices. Shape into balls and roll in toasted flour. Reserve the remaining flour.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter in the olive oil and maple syrup. Remove from heat. Place the meatballs on a baking sheet and brush with the maple mixture. Broil for 15 minutes.
- In a large pot, combine the meatballs and the defatted broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Make a slurry with the rest of the toasted flour and the cold water, and stir into the sauce. Add the meat from the shanks and simmer over low heat for another hour.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!