- 1 cup maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich flavour)
- 1 cup 35% cream
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup dates, pitted and chopped coarsely
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (plus a bit more to butter the pan)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 3/4 cup maple sugar
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 180° C (350° F). Butter a 33 cm x 23 cm (13 x 9 in) pan or 9 individual ramekins. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine all the sauce ingredients, bring to a boil, and cook for 2 minutes. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine water, dates, butter, and baking soda and bring to a boil. Simmer, stirring frequently, for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Into a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, use an electric mixer to whip the maple sugar and eggs until the mixture is creamy and smooth. Use a wooden spoon to incorporate the flour mixture, alternating with the date puree.
- Pour the dough into the butter pan and cover with the maple sauce.
- Bake for about 50 minutes if using a pan and 35 minutes if using ramekins, until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the pudding comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let stand before serving.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Add some Maple Taffy to your recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!