- 1 lb dried white beans
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 pinch of ground black pepper
- 1/2 lb lardons (cubed streaky bacon)
- Rinse and pick through the beans. Leave them to soak overnight (12 hours) in a large pan filled with water.
- Rinse and strain the beans. Put them in a large saucepan and add enough water to just cover them.
- Season with salt. Bring to the boil and leave to simmer for 30 minutes on a medium heat.
- Cook until soft (they will not soften in the oven so they need to reach the desired texture beforehand).
- Preheat the oven to 120 ˚C (250 ˚F).
- Strain the beans. Put the onions in the bottom of a large casserole or oven-proof dish.
- In a large bowl, mix the beans with the cider vinegar, dry mustard, maple syrup, ketchup and pepper. Pour the combined ingredients over the onions.
- Place the bacon pieces over the top. Add enough water to cover the ingredients by at least an inch.
- Put in the oven and cook without stirring for 7 hours.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Add some Maple Taffy to your recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!