- 1 1/4 cup beets (about 3 beets depending on size)
- 2 cups frozen berries
- 3/4 cup maple sugar
- 6 basil leaves
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- Place beets in a saucepan and cover with cold water.
- Bring water to a boil and cook beets for 25 to 30 minutes, until the tip of a knife easily penetrates the flesh. Cool beets in cold water.
- Peel beets, then cut into cubes.
- Using a food processor, blend all ingredients into a smooth purée.
- Pour into an airtight container and leave in freezer for about 2 hours.
- Remove sorbet from the freezer 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 3 cups.
When it’s hot and you want a refreshing, nutritious snack to give you energy before your workout, this unique and delicious sorbet will hit the spot and is so easy to make! It contains everything you need for optimum performance. Per serving (1 cup):190 calories; 2 g protein; 1 g fat; 51 g carbohydrates; 6 g fibre
Tips and variations:
– Add 1/2 cup of Greek vanilla yogurt for extra creaminess!
– Instead of berries, try any of your favourite fruit.
– Use about 1/3 cup of maple syrup instead of maple sugar.
– Finally, cook more beets than you need, then cut them into small cubes and freeze them. You’ll then have some on hand for whenever you’re ready to make the next sorbet!
* Imperial measurements may vary depending on the type of sugar used. Use metric measurements where possible.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Add some Maple Taffy to your recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!