- All-purpose flour, as needed
- 2.2 lbs venison, cubed
- 2.2 lbs beef, cubed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 cup maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich flavour)
- 2 cups red wine
- 3 cups beef broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 fresh rosemary, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 duck foie gras, cut into large cubes
- 18 oz portobello mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 1 1/2 cup pearl onions, peeled
- 2 carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 celery stalks, cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Flour the cubes of meat, then brown them in the olive oil in a large oven-proof casserole dish.
- Add the onions and maple syrup. Reduce for 1 minute. Add the wine, broth, tomato paste, garlic, bay leaves and the rosemary. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, cover and bake in the oven for about 2 hours.
- In a large pan, fry the cubes of foie gras. Remove from the pan. Set aside. Immediately fry the onions in the duck fat left in the pan. Set aside.
- Thirty minutes before cooking has finished, add the pearl onions, carrots, celery and fried mushrooms to the casserole dish.
- Once cooked, add the foie gras cubes and sprinkle with parsley. Serve and enjoy.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!