- 2 lbs pork, diced
- 2 lbs beef, diced
- 2 lbs chicken, diced
- 2 lbs game (grouse, venison, boar, moose, Guinea fowl, etc.), diced
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice (or meat pie spices)
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 homemade (or store-bought) round of pie dough
- 4 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced (make dice the same size as the meat)
- 3 cups 750 ml (3 cups) of beef broth
- In a large bowl, combine the meat, maple syrup, onions, spices and rosemary. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and let macerate for 12 hours in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- On a floured surface, roll out the pie dough and cut out squares measuring 4 cm (1 1/2 in) on each side. Set aside.
- In a large casserole dish, layer half the meat mixture, then half the potatoes, then half the pastry squares. Repeat.
- Pour the beef broth over the cipâte to cover. Cover and bake for 3 hours.
- Remove lid and bake for 30-45 more minutes (or until the top crust is golden brown).
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Add some Maple Taffy to your recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!