Osso Buco with Maple Gremolata
Recipes with Maple Sugar / Recipes with Maple Syrup / Veal
Created by Stéphanie Côté Nutritionist
Featuring Maple Syrup
- 4 veal or pork shanks, cut into slices about 5 cm (2 in) thick
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour, for coating
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (preferably dark syrup for its robust flavour)
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 540 ml (19 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 2 stalks of celery, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced into rounds
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 lemons, the zests finely minced
- 1/4 cup parsley, minced
- 1 clove of garlic, finely minced
- 2 tsp maple sugar
- Position rack in centre of oven. Preheat to 180° C (350° F).
- Put flour onto plate and coat the pieces of veal or pork.
- In a large ovenproof pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat and brown meat on both sides. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside on a plate.
- In the same pan, soften the onions. Add more oil if needed. Deglaze with maple syrup and wine. Add the meat, tomatoes, celery, carrots, garlic, the beef broth, bay leaf, and thyme. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil.
- Cover and bake 45 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 160° C (325° F) and bake another hour.
- During oven time, prepare the maple gremolata by combining the lemon zests, parsley, garlic, and maple sugar in a bowl. Garnish each osso buco with the mixture at point of serving.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!