- 8 slices bacon, cut into 1.25 cm (1/2 in) pieces
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 1/2 oz maple whisky (Sortilège, Coureur des Bois, La Baraque, or other)
- 3/4 tasse maple syrup (preferably dark syrup for its robust flavour)
- 3 tasses cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 2 stems fresh thyme, leaves removed
- Salt and freshly-ground pepper
- Fry bacon 8 – 10 minutes in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Remove from pan and discard the grease. Squeeze or pat bacon to eliminate as much fat as possible.
- Return pan to medium heat and cook the onions 10 minutes.
- Deglaze pan with maple spirits for 2 minutes, scraping to add flavour to the juices.
- Pour in the maple syrup and bring to a boil. Add the cranberries and thyme leaves, seasoning generously with salt and pepper. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve warm or cold with Québec cheeses and/or cold cuts, pâtés and terrines.
QUANTITY: 750 ml (3 cups)
This delicious home-made jam is a perfect substitute for the cranberry sauce traditionally served with roast turkey.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Add something special to your summer menu this year.
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!