- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup maple vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 oz dark rum
- 3/4 cup maple syrup (preferably dark syrup, for its robust flavour)
- 1/2 vanilla pod, split lengthwise
- 1 156 ml (5.5 oz) container tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Salt and ground pepper
- Warm the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Sauté the onion and garlic 2 minutes.
- Add all the ingredients and simmer 10 minutes.
- Take the vanilla pod out and scrape its seeds back into the sauce.
- Use a stick blender to make the sauce smooth. Pour into a jar.
YIELD: Approximately 500 ml (2 cups)
Delicious on beef, pork, chicken, tofu, burgers, and chicken tenders.
Make this sauce as spicy as you like by adding your choice of heat:
- A few drops of tabasco or other hot sauce: 5 – 10 ml (1 – 2 tsp) sriracha or harissa or 5 – 20 ml (1 – 4 tsp) sambal oelek or adobo sauce, etc.
- 2 g – 8 g (1/2 – 2 tsp) ground or flaked chipotle, cayenne, espelette, etc.
- 1/2 – 1 fresh chile: habanero, jalapeño, poblano, serrano, etc.
- A few pickled pepper rings: banana peppers, jalapeños, pepperoncini, etc.
This sauce will keep for 1 month in the fridge.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Add something special to your summer menu this year.
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!