- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp maple sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp butter, tempered
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tbsp maple sugar
- 1/3 cup maple sugar
- 5 medium egg yolks
- 2 tbsp plus 1 tsp maple syrup (preferably dark syrup for its robust flavour)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp 35% cream
- 1/3 cup butter, tempered
- 1 medium egg yolk, for browning
- In a bowl, mix the flour, salt, maple sugar, and butter into a crumbly texture.
- Add the egg and water and mix again.
- Form into a ball and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface. Lay it into a circle or springform pan that’s 23 cm (9 in) in diameter and 5 cm (2 in) high, with a bottom that’s 3 mm (3/32 in) thick.
- Pour the milk into a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together the sugar and cornstarch, then add the egg yolks and maple syrup. Whisk lightly.
- Keep whisking while you add the hot milk.
- Transfer mixture to a heavy-bottomed saucepan and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly. Continue until it starts to boil.
- Remove from heat and, still whisking, add the cream.
- Add the tempered butter.
- Pour mixture into the crust in the pan.
- Place into freezer for the night.
- The next day, remove from freezer. Preheat the oven to 150° C (300° F). Brush flan with the egg yolk and bake 1 hour.
- Allow to cool.
REFRIGERATION TIME: 30 minutes
FREEZER TIME: Overnight
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!