Maple-Balsamic Mushroom Mini-Burgers
Recipes with Maple Syrup / Starters
Featuring Maple Syrup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 12 large white mushrooms (cremini or baby bella)
- 1 tsp steak seasoning
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich flavour)
- 12 mini-hamburger buns*
- 2/3 cup beet hummus, home-made or store-bought
- 1 1/2 cup arugula (or baby greens)
- Preheat oven to 220° C (425° F). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Cut the stems off the mushrooms and save for another use. We will be using only the caps
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the mushrooms, stem side up. Sprinkle with steak seasoning and cook 5 minutes.
- Turn mushrooms over, cover pan, and cook another 3 – 4 minutes.
- Deglaze with the balsamic vinegar and reduce, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Turn mushrooms once.
- Add the maple syrup and cook 3 – 5 minutes, turning the mushrooms regularly, or until the liquid sticks to the mushrooms. Distribute the cooking liquid evenly, as needed. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, slice the buns and place on the baking sheet. Heat in oven 3 – 4 minutes.
- Dress each bun with beet hummus, mushrooms, and the greens.
YIELD: 12 mini-burgers
* Trouble finding mini-buns? Use dinner rolls (cut in half) or baguette (sliced).
Cooked mushrooms keep in the fridge for 3 or 4 days.
You should assemble these mini-burgers just before serving.
You can cook the mushrooms in advance and reheat them along with the buns in the oven before assembling.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!