Maple Onion Confit
Recipes with Maple Syrup / Starters
Created by Stéphanie Côté Nutritionist
Featuring Maple Syrup
- 3 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp half-salted butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (preferably dark syrup for its robust flavour)
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 stem fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large hot skillet over medium heat, cook onions in oil and butter for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Add a little more oil or butter during cooking, if necessary.
- Add maple syrup, vinegar, and thyme. Cook 10 minutes over medium-low heat, until the liquid thickens to the consistency of jam. Remove the thyme, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
* YIELD: 1 cup (250 ml)
Serving Suggestions: As an accompaniment to cheeses, pâtés, etc. and as a topping for burgers or grilled meats, for instance.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!