- 3 beets, peeled and grated
- 1/2 Empire or Cortland apple, finely diced
- 1/2 French shallot, finely minced
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich flavour)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp crumbled feta or 1 slice of goat’s cheese, such as Buchette
- 1 tbsp maple flakes
- Fresh herbs of your choice: basil, parsley, cilantro
- In a bowl, combine the beet, apple, shallot, maple syrup, olive oil, Dijon, and balsamic. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place plastic wrap inside a ramekin. Place beet mixture in and press down with a spoon to compact it.
- Turn ramekin over onto a plate. Lift gently so the “tartare” keeps its shape.
- Garnish with the crumbled feta or round of goat cheese and the maple flakes. Sprinkle with fresh herbs.
- Serve with toasted bread rounds. avec des croûtons de pain.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Add something special to your summer menu this year.
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!