- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (preferably dark syrup for its robust flavour)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 250-g (8 oz) package of cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 160 °C (325 °F).
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar about 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Incorporate eggs one at a time, beating well and scraping sides of bowl after each addition.
- On high speed, mix in vanilla and maple syrup. Finally, in 3 alternating instalments, add dry ingredients and buttermilk. Mix until all ingredients are fully moistened.
- Line a muffin pan with paper cups. Fill each cup to the top with batter.
- Bake 25 to 35 minutes, until tops are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then transfer to a baking rack and let cool completely.
- Cream together cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in icing sugar. Add maple syrup and beat until smooth. Use to frost cooled cupcakes.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!