- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 cup maple syrup (preferably dark syrup, for its robust flavour)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg
- Maple butter, for icing
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and ginger. Set aside.
- In a second large bowl, combine the maple syrup, melted butter, and egg. Add the dry ingredients a little at a time, mixing into a smooth dough. Form into a ball.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate 1½ hours.
- Place rack in centre position of oven. Preheat to 180° C (350° F).
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough to a thickness of 5 mm (1/5 in), then use cookie cutters to cut into various shapes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place some of the cookies on it (there’s enough dough to make several).
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned. Do the same with the rest of the dough.
- Let your cookies cool before decorating with maple butter.
REFRIGERATION TIME: 1 hour 30 minutes
COOKING TIME: 30 minutes (for 2 sheets of cookies baked separately).
KEEPS FOR: 3 weeks in an airtight container or 3 months in the freezer.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!