- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup maple sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 cups frozen peaches, in quarters
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (preferably amber syrup, for its rich flavour)
- Fine maple sugar
- Use an electric mixer to beat the butter and maple sugar together in a bowl. Add the egg and half the vanilla, and continue to beat until smooth.
- Incorporate the whole-wheat flour, then the milk. Use a wooden spoon to mix in the all-purpose flour.
- Shape the dough into 2 rounds, seal in plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, put the peaches, maple syrup, and the rest of the vanilla into a saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, and cook for 20 minutes.
- Break up the fruit with an immersion blender or food processor to obtain a jam that’s more-or-less smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180° C (350° F).
- On a floured surface, use a rolling pin to roll the cookie dough to a thickness of 3 mm (1/8 in).
- Cut out 24 cookies with a 6.25 cm (2 1/2 in) diameter cookie-cutter.
- Gather the leftover dough and scraps, and roll it out.
- Cut another 24 cookies with the 6.25 cm (2 1/2 in) cookie-cutter. Cut a hole in the centre of each with a 4.5 cm (1 3/4 in) cookie-cutter. Gather the dough from the holes, roll out, and cut into mini-cookies.
- Place all your cookies on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake 10 – 12 minutes or until they’re lightly golden. Cool on racks.
- Spread a spoonful of jam on each of the solid cookies and set the hole-in cookies on top.
- Pair up the mini-cookies, spreading a little jam on one and setting the other on top.
- Sprinkle all with the fine maple sugar.
* YIELD: about 24 cookies and 12 mini-cookies
* * REFRIGERATION: 1 hour
Once baked, these cookies will keep for about 1 week in an airtight container at room temperature.
With their jam filling, they’ll get soft within 24 – 36 hours.
The raw cookie dough can be frozen.
The jam will keep in the fridge for a few weeks.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Add some Maple Taffy to your recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!