- 1 slice of bone-in ham, 4 cm (1 1/2 in) thick (900 g [2 lb])
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (preferably very dark syrup for its pronounced flavour)
- 1/2 cup maple liqueur or maple whisky
- 1/2 pineapple
- 1/2 cup maple nuggets
- 2 tsp ground allspice **
- 2 tbsp prepared mustard
- Preheat oven to 220° C (425° F).
- Trim some of the fat from the ham. Cut fat into cubes and set aside in a bowl.
- Pour 15 ml (1 tbsp) maple syrup into a pan that will fit the piece of ham. Place ham in and pour half of remaining syrup and half of the maple liqueur over top.
- Peel pineapple and cut into 2 cm (7/8 in) pieces. Arrange pieces on the ham.
- In another bowl, mix maple nuggets and allspice, and sprinkle half of mixture onto pineapple.
- Stir other half of mixture into the cubed fat, then add mustard and mix. Sprinkle this mixture onto the pineapple.
- Place in oven and roast one hour.
- Remove from oven. Carefully pour off cooking juices into a medium saucepan. Set ham aside.
- Add remaining maple syrup to cooking juices and reduce until thickened and caramelized (3-4 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in remaining maple liqueur.
- Pour sauce over ham, cut into wedges, and serve.
* Or 6 – 10 brunch servings.
** Or spice mix of 1 part ground cloves, 2 parts ground black pepper, and a dash of nutmeg.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!