- 2 sheets – 25 cm x 25 cm (10 in x 10 in) – puff pastry
- 3/4 lb sliced ham, high quality such as Black Forest
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich flavour)
- Smoky maple hot sauce, to taste*
- 3 cups medium cheddar, grated
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tasse maple nuggets
- Preheat oven to 220° C (425° F).
- Place one sheet of pastry on a lightly oiled (or parchment paper lined) baking sheet.
- Arrange ham slices on top, leaving 2 cm (7/8 in) space around the edges.
- Drizzle ham with maple syrup, then sprinkle with pepper sauce, to taste.
- Cover with layer of grated cheese.
- Beat egg with milk in a small bowl. Brush edges of pastry with half of this mixture.
- Lay second sheet of pastry on top and seal edges well with fingertips.
- Make a few slits in top layer of pastry to allow steam to escape while baking.
- Bake 10 minutes at 220° C (425° F).
- Remove from oven. Brush with remaining egg-milk mixture and sprinkle with maple nuggets.
- Return to oven and reduce temperature to 180° C (350° F).
- Bake another 15 minutes or longer, if desired, to caramelize the sugar.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
* Or your choice of hot sauce.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!