- 1 butternut squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich flavour)
- 1 head of garlic
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth, or water
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 200° C (400° F). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lay in the squash halves with the flesh side up, then the onions on top. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with 30 ml (2 tbsp) of oil and 45 ml (3 tbsp) maple syrup. Turn the squash flesh side down on the sheet.
- Slice off the top of the head of garlic to expose the cloves. Place it on a sheet of aluminum foil and drizzle with the remaining oil and maple syrup. Season with salt and pepper, wrap in the foil, and place on the tray.
- Place all in oven and bake until tender and golden, about 30 minutes.
- Gently squeeze the head of garlic to release the insides. Remove the flesh from the squash.
- Transfer all with their juices to a blender. Add the broth or water and purée until smooth. Add more liquid if necessary. Adjust the seasonings.
- When ready to serve, garnish as desired.
Yogourt (drained), crème fraiche, or sour cream
Toasted pumpkin seeds
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Add some Maple Taffy to your recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!