- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 lbs lean ground pork
- 1 cup pistachios, skinned and chopped, and 15 ml (1 tablespoon) for garnish
- 1 tablespoon meat pie seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (preferably homemade)
- 8 sheets of phyllo dough
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium high heat and stirring, sauté onions and pork for 5 minutes.
- Add pistachios and spices, then season with salt and pepper. Bake for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let the forcemeat cool.
- Preheat oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Boil maple syrup and chicken broth in a saucepan. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Spread out the first sheet of phyllo dough on your work surface.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the sheet with melted butter, then cover with another sheet of phyllo. Repeat until you have used up all of the phyllo dough.
- Cut the dough in half lengthwise into two equal rectangles.
- Place the first rectangle in a 33×23-cm (13×9-in) oven-proof dish. Spread the forcemeat on top of the dough rectangle, then cover with the other rectangular half.
- Brush with butter, then cut into diamond shapes using a sharp knife. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Let the baklava cool for a few minutes, then drizzle with maple syrup.
- Garnish with pistachios.
Serve immediately with your favourite garden salad.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Add some Maple Taffy to your recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!