- 4 quail, deboned
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 2 French shallots, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich flavour)
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 pinch dried hot pepper
- 1/2 lemon, juice and zest
- Preheat oven to 190° C (375° F).
- Season quails well with salt and pepper. Heat oil over medium-high in an ovenproof skillet. Sear quail on flesh side (2 – 3 minutes) and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and sauté shallot and garlic 2 minutes. Deglaze pan with the cider vinegar, then the maple syrup. Add the mustard, thyme, rosemary, and hot pepper, and cook for 1 minute.
- Return quail to the pan. Add the lemon zest and juice. Place in oven for 15 minutes, basting quail 2 or 3 times during roasting.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!