- 1 pineapple, peeled
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (preferably dark syrup for its robust flavour)
- 6 pink peppercorns
- 1 star anise, crushed
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, crushed
Duck and fois gras
- 1 duck breast
- 5 oz fresh duck foie gras
- Vegetable oil, for cooking
- Cut pineapple into rectangles of about 2.5 cm by 5 cm (1 in. by 2 in).
- In a saucepan, bring maple syrup and spices to a boil. Remove from heat and add the pineapple.
- Refrigerate until ready to assemble.
Duck and Foie Gras
- Cut the duck breast into fine long slices with a strip of skin on each.
- Do the same with the foie gras but, instead, cut it crossways to obtain nice whole slices.
- Salt both sides of the breast and foie gras, and set aside.
Assembly and Cooking
- Gently drain the pineapple.
- First, wrap the pieces of foie gras around the chunks of pineapple.
- Then roll the slices of breast around the foie gras, making sure the skin is exposed.
- Tie each roll with butcher’s string to form little roasts.
- Brown them in a hot, lightly-oiled pan, 1 minute on each side.
- To serve, cut each little roast in two. Serve with potatoes and a drippings sauce, if desired.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!