- 1 An approx. 3.5 kg (7 3/4 lbs) whole regular or young turkey
- 6 pears cut in half, cores removed
- 1 onion cut in half
- 2 stalks of celery cut into sections.
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 3/4 cup of dry white wine
- 1 cup of chicken bouillon
- 1 cup of maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich flavour)
- 1 cup of any fresh herb (Rosemary, Savoury, Thyme, Sage, etc.).
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoon of flour
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C (400 °F).
- Place the turkey, breast up, in a roasting pan.
- Season the cavity of the turkey and fill it with three pears, the onion, celery, and herbs. Tie the legs together with string to ensure the turkey maintains its shape during cooking.
- Roast uncovered in the middle of oven rack for at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sauté the shallot and garlic in butter in a casserole. Deglaze with wine and simmer until reduced to a third of original volume.
- Add the maple syrup, bouillon and herb. Season well. Bring to a boil and pour over the turkey.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 160 ºC (325 ºF). Cover and continue to roast for about 2 hours and 20 minutes, or for 40 minutes for each 1 kg (2.2 lbs) of turkey, or until the meat comes off easily away from the bones. Baste with the pear juice mixture regularly.
- Uncover for the last 20 to 30 minutes to give it a nice golden colour. Add the rest of the pears.
- Let the turkey rest for 15 to 20 minutes before carving. Bring to a boil.
- Mix flour with a little bit of water and add to the casserole using a beater. Let the mixture simmer until it thickens.
- Serve turkey with the pears and gravy.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!