- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Pinch of salt
- 1 cup maple butter
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup maple sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 Pinch of fleur de sel
- 2 egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1 mascarpone
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- Maple sugar nuggets, to taste
- Sift together the first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the butter, maple butter and egg, then add the dry ingredients and mix until the dough comes together. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Roll out the dough to a thickness of 3 mm (1/8 in). Reserve a small amount of dough to make cut-out decorations.
- Line a 35.5×12.5-cm (14×5-in) rectangular tart pan with the dough and prick with a fork. Cover dough with parchment paper and fill with a handful of dry beans (or pie weights).
- Roll out the remaining dough and cut out stars or other shapes with a cookie cutter. Place shapes on a baking sheet.
- Bake the tart shell and the cut-outs for about 15 minutes. Set aside.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt the butter and the maple sugar over medium heat, stirring frequently. Slowly add 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) milk and heat for about 3 minutes without allowing the mixture to boil. Keep the caramel warm.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, fleur de sel, remaining milk and egg yolks, then add to the warm caramel. Cook for about 2 longer or until it starts to thicken.
- Let cool 2 hours before pouring into the pre-baked tart shell.
- Mascarpone Cream
- In a bowl, stir the mascarpone to obtain a creamy consistency. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Carefully top the caramel tart with the mascarpone cream and garnish with cut-out shapes.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Add something special to your summer menu this year.
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!