- 1 cup milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup maple sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (preferably very dark syrup for its strong flavour)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- In a saucepan, bring milk to a gentle boil.
- In a bowl, beat egg yolks, maple sugar, flour, maple syrup and corn starch until uniform.
- Pour hot milk gently over mixture and beat in well. Make sure mixture is smooth and free of lumps.
- Return to the saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Once mixture has thickened, remove from heat, add butter and mix until creamy.
- Pour into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap making sure wrap is in direct contact with surface of cream. Refrigerate at least 3 hours until cream sets.
- Pour into a pastry bag with a #5 plain tip and fill cake.
Makes: enough for 1 cake (25 cm /10 in).
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!