- 2/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup maple sugar
- 8 à 10 apples (Golden Delicious or Cortland), peeled, cored, and halved
- 200 g sweet or shortcrust pastry, home-made or store-bought
- Melt the butter in a 30 cm (12 in) diameter ovenproof skillet. Add the maple sugar and cook until the colour is a fairly dark caramel (being careful not to burn it).
- Put the apples in upright and pack them tightly together. If you have any left over, cut them into smaller quarters and push them into any free spaces. Return to the heat for another 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Roll out the pastry to a thickness of 2 to 3 mm (1/8 in or a bit less) and lay it on the apples, carefully tucking it inside the pan. Cut little vents with a paring knife.
- Bake in a 220° C (425° F) oven for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and invert onto a rimmed plate to unmould.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Add some Maple Taffy to your recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!