- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups maple sugar
- 1 cup maple syrup (preferably dark syrup for its robust flavour)
- 2 cans of evaporated milk of 370 ml (13 oz)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup roasted walnuts, chopped
- In a thick bottom casserole, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add sugar and maple syrup and mix until all sugar melts completely. Increase heat and cook until the syrup becomes dark amber in colour.
- Add milk and cook for 10 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Dissolve cornstarch in water. Add to the caramel mixture in the pot, stirring vigorously and let boil for 1 minute.
- Pour into a bowl, add butter and vanilla and mix using a mixer until you obtain a smooth sauce. Stir in nuts.
- Let cool before transferring into jars.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!