- 1/2 One 4.5-kg (10-lbs) ham, bone in
- 2 cups maple syrup
- 1 cup orange juice
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 vanilla pods, split, grains out, chopped into various lengths for a total of 12 to 15 pieces
- 1/2 cup maple sugar
- Place ham in a large casserole dish and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then lower heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Drain ham and dry well before placing in a roasting pan, with the fatty side up.
- In a bowl, combine maple syrup, orange juice, pepper and vanilla grains (keep the pod shell pieces to stud meat with). Set this glaze aside.
- Using a knife, make diamond-shape incisions in the fat of the ham. Then stud each incision with a piece of vanilla pod. Baste with some of the glaze and roast for 1 1/2 hours. Baste frequently during cooking.
- A few minutes before removing from oven, sprinkle ham with maple sugar and allow to caramelize.
- Collect the cooking juices, strain and serve with ham.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Add some Maple Taffy to your recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!