- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 tablespoons maple sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (preferably dark syrup for its robust flavour)
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups barley flakes
- 1/2 cup nuts (pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, etc.)
- 3 cups dried apples or dried fruit (apricots, dates, raisins, cranberries, cherries, etc.)
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- In a small saucepan, combine the oil, maple sugar, maple syrup, apple juice, cinnamon and vanilla. Bring to a boil, then remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, combine all the other ingredients except the apples or dried fruit.
- Add the sugar mixture and mix well to coat all the ingredients.
- Spread the mixture over two large baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Be careful not to spread the mixture out too thinly because the granola could burn.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally (about every 10 minutes), until the granola turns golden.
- Once out of the oven, add the apples or dried fruit and mix together. Allow to cool completely.
- The granola will crisp up when cooled. Serve with fat-free Greek yogurt.
Granola, with either yogurt or milk, for breakfast or as a snack is an excellent energizer. However, the granola found in stores often contains a lot of fat. A meal that’s high in fat slows down absorption of carbohydrates, which won’t help with your workout at all. Our recipe for maple granola has the advantage of being both low in fat and high in carbohydrates, so it will provide all the fuel you need. You’ll also love its delicious maple taste, not to mention the apple and dried fruit. This granola has a significant amount of fibre so make sure to eat it at least one hour before physical activity so it has time to properly digest. By 160 ml serving (2/3 cup): 252 calories; 6 g protein; 6 g fat; 47 g carbohydrates; 6 g fibre.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!