- 1 bunch each of green and white asparagus, trimmed and blanched
- 2 lbs ground pork
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon tourtière seasoning
- 2 lbs ground wild game meat
- 15 soda crackers, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons maple sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- turkey split breast, sliced into cutlets
- A few sage leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Tomato and maple butter glaze
- 1 can of 680 ml (2 3/4 cups) store-bought tomato sauce
- 1 cup maple butter
- Place rack in middle of oven and preheat to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Remove asparagus tips and set aside for garnish.
- In a bowl, combine pork with onion, breadcrumbs, mustard, tourtière seasoning, salt and pepper. Chill in the refrigerator.
- In another bowl, mix game meat with soda biscuits, maple sugar, egg and thyme. Chill in the refrigerator.
- Spread pork in a 33×23-cm (13×9-in) rectangle on parchment paper, with the longest side facing you from left to right. Spread game meat over the pork. Arrange turkey cutlets on top and season with sage. Alternating colours, place green and white asparagus lengthwise on top, starting from lower edge of rectangle moving upwards. Using parchment paper, roll up from bottom edge of rectangle.
- Place meatloaf log in centre of a rimmed baking sheet and bake in oven for 1 hour.
- For the glaze, combine tomato sauce with maple butter and pour over log. Return to oven and bake another 1 hour.
- Remove log from oven and transfer to a cutting board using two spatulas. Use a spoon to remove fat from pan juices.
- Scrape bottom of pan to loosen all meat juices. Add a little water if required to make enough liquid. Strain pan juices through a sieve and pour into a gravy boat.
- Cut log into generous slices, then arrange on a serving platter. Garnish with herbs and reserved asparagus tips. Serve with sauce.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Add some Maple Taffy to your recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!