- 1 rainbow trout fillet (about 900 g [2 lb]), boned, skin on
- 1/2 cup coarse salt
- 1 cup maple sugar
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp juniper berries, crushed
- 1 bunch of dill, chopped
- 3 oz Québec gin
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 1 tsp peppercorns, crushed coarsely
- Blend all ingredients, except the fish.
- Put 1/3 of the mixture into the bottom of a Pyrex dish, the trout fillet on top, and then the rest of the mixture on the fish, coating it well.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 12 hours.
- After 12 hours, turn the fillet and coat it with the mixture again. Let it macerate in the fridge for another 12 hours.
- Rinse the trout fillet under very cold water.
- Pat dry and slice thinly to serve.
MACERATION: 24 hours
Gravlax will keep for several days in the refrigerator, and about 3 months in the freezer.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!