- 8 cups water
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 lb mix of large prawns and crab claws
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp maple vinegar (or white vinegar)
- 1 1/3 cup sparkling water
- 12 cups canola oil
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp Portuguese chili paste (or sambal oelek)
- 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup (preferably dark syrup for its robust flavour)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp maple vinegar (or sherry vinegar)
- 2 cups canola oil
- Put water and salt into a pot and bring to a boil. Add shellfish and boil for 12 minutes. Remove and plunge immediately into an ice water bath.
- Once shellfish have cooled, shell them and remove cartilage with pliers.
- Heat oil to a temperature of 180° C (350° F) in a deep fryer or pot.
- Blend all batter ingredients.
- Dip shellfish in the tempura batter and fry until golden.
- Using a whisk or blender, combine all the mayonnaise ingredients except the canola oil.
- Stream in the oil until the mayonnaise is smooth and set.
- Serve the shellfish on a plate with the mayonnaise in a container on the side.
Choose prawns the same size as the crab claws to ensure they all cook evenly.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Add something special to your summer menu this year.
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!